At Sun Life, helping people live healthier lives is an important part of our Purpose. That’s why it’s one of three key focus areas of our new sustainability plan.
Health issues are growing around the world. We’re committed to providing our Clients and employees with the tools and education they need to live healthier lives. At the same time, we’re working to improve health and wellness in society. We do that by improving access to health and disability insurance and investing in community health and thought leadership.
Our work in these areas supports Sustainable Development Goal 3: Good Health and Well-being.
As a company that offers life, health and disability insurance, we know that good health is central to well-being. The health care needs of our Clients continue to grow. In 2019, we paid $17.4 billion in claims and benefits to help our Clients live healthier lives.
- Continue to focus on expanding virtual health solutions to help Clients live healthier lives
- Expand our mental health footprint by offering innovative solutions to help Clients on their road to recovery
- Increase engagement in U.S. prescription drug pricing reforms by offering ideas that will reduce the costs for Clients
- Continue to advocate in support of Paid Family & Medical Leave legislation in the U.S.
Employee wellness underpins our ability to deliver excellent service to Clients and to attract and retain top talent. It also helps to enhance our high performance culture.
Research shows that companies with the most effective health and productivity programs have improved financial results.1 They also save 1.5-1.7 days of absenteeism per employee each year.2
- Implement defined contribution plan auto-enrolment in Canada for new hires
- Increase flexibility in employee benefits in select countries in Asia
- Develop targeted programs in Canada to support employee mental well-being
We have a vested interest in contributing to the well-being of communities we serve. Our Clients, employees and their families live and work in these communities. That’s why we’re committed to supporting their development and fostering healthier, sustainable communities.
- Standardize measurement and reporting of programs we support and our efforts to raise awareness of key issues
- Continue to focus our community giving to support our Purpose, in particular helping people live healthier lives