Corporate headquarters breaks record for environmental sustainability
Sun Life’s new corporate headquarters at One York Street in Toronto has earned a LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Platinum certification, with the highest score ever awarded to a Toronto building. That means meeting internationally recognized standards for air quality, access to natural light and effective energy and water conservation programs. Among the building’s energy-saving features are a “light harvesting” system, which monitors daylight and adjusts artificial light accordingly, a rooftop garden, 300 bicycle racks and “deep lake water cooling,” which draws cold water from nearby Lake Ontario to cool the building, using far less electricity than traditional air conditioning.
One York Street also reflects the latest thinking in office design. Today, thanks to technology, people can be accessible from anywhere, anytime – and that’s changing the way we work together, communicate with one another and do business with our Clients. There is a global shift away from traditional office design, where up to 90% of floor space was dedicated to offices and cubicles, leaving only 10% for meeting rooms and virtually nowhere for impromptu team huddles.
Opened in 2017, our One York Street headquarters features spaces that can serve a variety of purposes at different times, offering more balance, more flexibility and more choice in working styles, and giving us a competitive edge in attracting, developing and retaining top talent. The offices also host a series of interactive installations – the digital canvas – that bring the Sun Life message to life in an engaging and compelling way.