Sustainable investing is a priority for Sun Life. We’re focused on managing capital with sustainability embedded in our decision making. We think about sustainable investing in three ways: We integrate environmental, social and governance (ESG) considerations in our investment processes, to identify both risks and opportunities. We invest in projects that will support the transition to a low-carbon and more inclusive economy. And we offer sustainable investing opportunities to our institutional and retail Clients.
Our work in these areas supports Sustainable Development Goal 7: Affordable and Clean Energy.
We believe in integrating financial and non-financial factors into our investment process and decisions. Incorporating an ESG lens helps us manage sustainability risks in our investment portfolios. It also helps us identify opportunities. Research shows that embedding ESG factors into investment decision-making has a positive effect on investment returns.
- Complete ESG plus analysis modules on remaining sectors (SLC Management)
- Using the ESG dashboard built in 2019, assign proprietary ESG scores on all corporate issuers covered (SLC Management)
- Develop sustainable investing policy (SLC Management)
- Engage managers to support implementation and evolution of ESG best practices in investment strategies (SLGI)
Sustainable investments and products
We believe in creating long-term value for our Clients using our role as an asset owner and global asset manager.
More and more, institutional Clients and the broader investment community are seeking sustainability-themed investments. In addition, demand for essential infrastructure investment continues to grow. By 2040, it’s estimated the world will need $94 trillion in funding to upgrade, replace or build essential infrastructure.1
- Seek opportunities for integrating sustainable investment options within group retirement savings plans