Sun Life Financial Enhances Employee Benefits for Public Sector
New Group Life, Long Term Disability Riders Better Protect Needs of State and Local Government Employees
WELLESLEY, MA (January 4, 2010) – The Employee Benefits Group division of Sun Life Financial Inc. (NYSE: SLF, TSX: SLF) today announced recent enhancements to its employee benefits designed for the public sector groups. Sun Life’s Group Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) and Long Term Disability (LTD) plans now offer more optional riders such as a Line of Duty AD&D Benefit, a Critical Burn Rider and Health Coverage Continuance not limited to COBRA. These enhancements 1 are designed to meet the benefit needs and administrative practices of public sector groups that may differ from their private sector counterparts.
“We’ve serviced public sector groups for over 80 years,” said Michael Shunney, Senior Vice President and General Manager. “We understand these groups are best served with policy provisions that consider their needs first, rather than trying to make them fit into a contract created for the private sector. We are pleased to launch our latest enhancements that provide additional options for government employers to customize their coverage and extend tailored protection to employees.”
New Group Life and AD&D Riders for Public Sector
The following optional riders1 are now available with Group Life and AD&D coverage for public sector employers:
- Line of Duty Rider pays an additional benefit if a public safety officer's death or dismemberment occurs in the line of duty.
- Critical Burn Rider pays a benefit to victims of accidental burns who require reconstructive surgery.
- Fatal Heart Attack or Stroke Rider pays a benefit for public safety officers who die as a result of a heart attack or stroke suffered during non-routine, stressful or physically strenuous duties or training.
- Coverage for Elected Officials allows public sector customers to include elected officials in a group plan regardless of the number of hours worked.
Sun Life’s group life plans also offer an Accelerated Death Benefit, tailored Waiver of Premium provisions, greater coverage for part-time employees, extended Leave of Absence coverage to meet teachers’ needs, and an optional Felonious Assault AD&D Rider for public safety officials and school district personnel.
New Long Term Disability Riders for Public Sector
The following optional riders1 are now available with LTD benefits for public sector employers:
- When the Accidental Dismemberment/Loss of Sight Rider is elected, customers receive Sun Life’s On-the-Job Assault coverage. This provides an additional six months of benefits if disability results from an assault that happens at work.
- The Social Security / PERS & STRS Incentive allows claimants to receive more income protection by not offsetting other disability programs – Social Security, the Public Employees Retirement System and the State Teachers Retirement System – for the first 12 months of disability coverage.
- Optional Health Coverage Continuance Rider helps employees pay the cost of medical and dental premiums continued under COBRA or another employer-sponsored health care program.
LTD plans include Sun Life’s first to market Retro Disability BenefitsTM. Typically, LTD plans have an elimination period when benefits are not paid. With Retro Disability BenefitsTM, if an employee’s disability requires continuous hospitalization for 14 days or more from the onset of Total Disability, we will retroactively pay the employee LTD benefits back to the first day the employee was deemed totally disabled. For public sector customers, Retro Disability has been enhanced to pay an additional sum if the Retro Disability results from a felonious assault2.
Sun Life offers dental plans with a standard vision discount card program, optional Vision Insurance, optional Cosmetic Rider and more. With dental, group life, and disability, Sun Life offers a complete suite of employee benefits to the public sector. All customers have access to Sun Life’s robust online services for employers and employees and are backed by Sun Life’s money-back service guarantees. For more on Sun Life’s public sector benefits, visit www.sunlife.com/us.
About Sun Life Financial
Sun Life Financial is a leading international financial services organization providing a diverse range of protection and wealth accumulation products and services to individuals and corporate customers. Chartered in 1865, Sun Life Financial and its partners today have operations in key markets worldwide, including Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Hong Kong, the Philippines, Japan, Indonesia, India, China and Bermuda. As of September 30, 2009, the Sun Life Financial group of companies had total assets under management of US $385.3 billion.
Sun Life Financial Inc. trades on the Toronto (TSX), New York (NYSE) and Philippine (PSE) stock exchanges under ticker symbol SLF. Visit Sun Life Financial’s website at www.sunlife.com/us.
Group insurance policies are underwritten by Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada (Wellesley Hills, MA) in all states, except New York, under Policy Form Series 93P-LH, 98P-ADD, 02P-STD TDB Policy-2006, 02-SL, 07-SL, and 01C-LH-PT. In New York, group insurance policies are underwritten by Sun Life Insurance and Annuity Company of New York (New York, NY) under Policy Form Series 93P-LH-NY, 06P-NYDBL, 02P-NYSTD, 98P-ADD-NY, 02-NYSL, 07-NYSL, and 01NYC-LH-PT. Group insurance policies are underwritten by Sun Life and Health Insurance Company (U.S.) (Wellesley Hills, MA) in all states under Policy Form Series GP-A and GP-D (or appropriate state edition). Product offerings may not be available in all states and may vary depending on state laws and regulations.
SLPC # 21335 12/09
1. Availability varies by state. Benefits available in all states except: CA, FL, LA, ND, NH, NY, and VT. Fatal Heart Attack not available in CT, IL. COBRA coverage not available in CT. Line of Duty not available in IL.
2. Enhanced Retro Disability Benefits is currently available in all states except CA, VT, FL, LA, ND, NH and NY.
Sun Life Financial