SLPC 25090 11/15 (exp. 11/17)
Protect the life you love by securing it for the people most important to you.
Take comfort in knowing that life insurance can provide the people you love with financial support when you can’t be there—and when they need it most.
By planning ahead, life insurance:
- Helps your loved ones pay for final (funeral) expenses
- Provides financial support for your loved ones so they can maintain their lifestyle
- Allows you to leave an inheritance to loved ones
How does it work?
Life insurance provides your loved ones with a payment, based on the amount of your coverage, upon your death. By purchasing life insurance through your employer, you can take advantage of affordable group rates. Your premium (the cost of the plan) will be determined by your age and the amount of coverage you choose. When you sign up for life insurance at work, you can adjust your coverage each year as your needs change. You may also have the ability to take your coverage with you if you leave your job.1
You can choose a coverage amount that fits your needs and your budget. Depending on your plan, you may be able to choose an amount based on your salary (for example, two times your salary) or a set dollar amount. Consider your immediate and future expenses such as housing costs, credit card debt, medical coverage, and education costs before deciding on a coverage amount. You may also be eligible for coverage—up to a Guaranteed Issue amount—without answering medical questions.2 In addition, you may also be able to purchase coverage for your spouse3 or your child.
Additional services available with your plan4
With Life insurance from Sun Life, you have access to additional services that help ensure that your family is protected during your day-to-day lives. Examples include:
- Emergency Travel Assistance: A service that provides assistance to you anywhere in the world in the event of a medical, dental, or legal emergency. If you or a family member are traveling 100 or more miles from home and an emergency occurs, you can connect anytime to Assist America’s staff of medically trained, multilingual professionals. With Emergency Travel Assistance, you also have access to services such as pre-qualified English-speaking medical professionals—including doctors, hospital staff, and pharmacists—as well as emergency medical evacuations and legal and interpreter services.
- Identity Theft Protection: A service that helps prevent identity theft and restores your personal financial records if it does. The program provides 24-hour surveillance for up to 10 credit or debit cards, as well as telephonic support and guidance by anti-fraud experts. Through web-based monitoring, the Identity Theft Protection program provides prompt notification of a compromise of personal information, and will also assign an expert case worker to help notify credit bureaus and file paperwork to correct your credit reports.
- Claimant Support Services: These services are available 24x7 to connect you with emotional support, financial planning, and legal information. You have access to professionals, such as clinicians, attorneys, and certified public accountants from ComPsych Corporation, a guidance resources company, and you can take advantage of up to five telephonic professional counseling sessions per claim.
- Online Will Preparation: Through an easy-to-use, password-protected website, you and your spouse can create a will in about 20 minutes. This service includes step-by-step guidance and customization to your unique situation, as well as the ability to name an executor to carry out your wishes and to designate guardian(s) to care for your children.
The content on this page is not approved for use in New Mexico.
1. Subject to policy terms, conversion is available when coverage terminates or reduces, and portability is available when employment terminates. Coverage is subject to state variations. If portability is not available in your state, continuation may be available. Refer to your certificate for specific conditions.
2. If the amount you apply for exceeds the Guaranteed Issue amount or if you decline coverage during your initial eligibility period and want to elect coverage or increase coverage at a later date, you are required to complete and submit an Evidence of Insurability application, which must be approved by Sun Life prior to coverage taking effect.
3. If permitted by the Employer’s employee benefit plan and not prohibited by state law, the term “spouse” in this benefit includes any individual who is either recognized as a spouse, a registered domestic partner, or a partner in a civil union, or otherwise accorded the same rights as a spouse.
4. Value-added services are offered only on specific lines of coverage and carry a separate charge, which is added to the cost of the insurance. The cost is included in the total amount billed. Emergency Travel Assistance is provided by Assist America®. Identity Theft Protection is provided by SecurAssist®, an Assist America program. Online Will Preparation and Claimant Support Services are provided by ComPsych® and are not insurance. ComPsych® is a registered trademark of ComPsych Corporation. Sun Life is not responsible or liable for care, services, or advice given by any provider or vendor of the Services. Sun Life reserves the right to discontinue any of the Services at any time.
Group life and disability insurance policies are underwritten by Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada (Wellesley Hills, MA) in all states, except New York, under policy form series 93P-LH, 12-GP-01, and 12-DI-C-01. In New York, group life and disability insurance policies are underwritten by Sun Life and Health Insurance Company (U.S.) (Windsor, CT) under policy form series 13-GP-LF-01, 13-LF-C-01, 07P-LH-PT/07C-LH-PT, 13-GP-LH-01, 13-ADD-C-01, 13-LTD-C-01, 13-STD-C-01, 12-GPPort-01, 13-LFPort-C-01, 13-ADDPort-C-01 and 12-STDPort-C-01. Product offerings may not be available in all states and may vary depending on state laws and regulations.