Privacy is about more than just protecting the personal data you may share through the use of our products and services, or when using our websites. Privacy is also about our obligation to use and disclose this information only for the purposes we have explained to you.
The Sun Life group of companies has a long history of protecting your information. Your information allows us to provide you the best possible service and products. From our global privacy commitment, which guides our business practices around the world, to our online privacy statement, we are committed to your privacy.
Personal datarefers to personal information, privileged information and sensitive personal information as defined in the Implementing Rules and Regulations of the Data Privacy Act of 2012 and other applicable laws and regulations.
- Personal information refers to any information, whether recorded in a material form or not, that directly ascertains the identity of an individual. This includes your address and contact information.
- Sensitive personal information includes your age, date of birth, marital status, social security and other government identification numbers, policy information, health/medical and financial information.
- Privileged Information is any and all forms of information which, under the Rules of Court and other pertinent laws, constitute privileged communication, such as, but not limited to, information which a person authorized to practice medicine, surgery or obstetrics may have acquired in attending to a patient in a professional capacity.
By providing Sun Life with personal data, you have explicitly authorized and consented to our collection, use and processing of said data for the following purposes:
- Processing and underwriting (both medical and financial) applications for financial and insurance products and services, either through manual or automated underwriting processes;
- Providing, administering and servicing our products and services to help you meet your needs, including for purposes of improving/upgrading our systems and business processes or appointment of third party vendors;
- Assessing your suitability for products and services, including conducting data analytics, market research and surveys which aim to provide you with better products and services;
- Adjudicating claims under your insurance or investment plan with any person or organization, who has relevant information about you including institutions, investigative agencies, insurers and reinsurers;
- Informing you of Sun Life's products and services, including marketing or promotional information regarding financial and insurance products through phone calls, mail, email, SMS or other electronic channels;
- Complying with applicable laws, regulations, directives, issuances by, or agreements and obligations of Sun Life to any competent authority, regulator, supervisory body, enforcement agency, exchange, court, quasi-judicial body or tribunal;
- Identifying, investigating and preventing financial crimes, including fraud, bribery, money laundering and terrorist financing, including but not limited to the submission of reports to the Anti-Money Laundering Commission (AMLC);
- Enhancing risk assessment and preventing fraud, including but not limited to uploading medical information in the Medical Information Database pursuant to the Insurance Commission's (IC) Circular Letter No. 2016-54.
- Enforcing and/or defending the rights of Sun Life before any agency, court, tribunal, quasi-judicial body;
- Recognizing other lawful or legitimate commercial or business purposes necessary for the performance of, or in relation to, a contract or service to which the data subject is a party;
- When necessary or desirable in the context of an employer-employee relationship between Sun Life and the data subject; and
- Enabling Sun Life to exercise governance over its businesses and ensuring that risks arising therefrom are duly identified, measured, managed and mitigated.
We may also collect personal data from other sources, including but not limited to the insured, Medical Information Database, credit bureaus or aggregation agencies, your employers and your beneficiaries.
For Partnerships and Corporate entities, you represent and warrant that you have (a) advised your data subjects of the purpose/s of collecting personal data and disclosure thereof to Sun Life, their rights as data subjects and other relevant information, and (b) obtained the necessary consent and authority to disclose personal data of your directors, officers, employees, members and other representatives to Sun Life, pursuant to the Data Privacy Act, its Implementing Rules and Regulations and other applicable laws and regulations.
For purposes of this statement, Sun Life refers to the Sun Life Financial group of companies, a leading international financial services organization providing a diverse range of protection and wealth products and services to individuals and corporate customers. Sun Life Financial and its partners have operations in key markets worldwide, including Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Hong Kong, the Philippines, Japan, Indonesia, India, China, Australia, Singapore, Vietnam, Malaysia and Bermuda. As of 31 March 2017, Sun Life has total assets under management of $927 billion. For more information, please visit www.sunlife.com. In the Philippines, Sun Life Financial is represented by Sun Life of Canada (Philippines), Inc. which offers life insurance products; Sun Life Asset Management Company, Inc. which manages and distributes the Sun Life Prosperity Funds; and Sun Life Financial Plans, Inc. which administers the company's education and pension plans.
With Whom We May Disclose and Share Your Personal Data
We may disclose and share your personal data to the following:
- Any member of the Sun Life Group, its directors, officers, employees, duly authorized representatives, related companies, affiliates, financial advisors and mutual fund representatives;
- Third party service providers and vendors including credit card processors, data analytics and customer support providers, and IT service providers who are bound by an obligation of confidentiality. They will have access to your personal data only as necessary to perform their requested function on your behalf, and if they have adequate security and privacy standards acceptable to Sun Life;
- Medical Information Database administered by the Philippine Life Insurance Association (PLIA) and accessible to life insurance companies for purposes allowed under IC Circular Letter No. 2016-54, Loan Database administered by the Credit Information Corporation and other databases administered by similar agencies;
- Any authority, regulator, supervisory, enforcement agency, exchange, court, quasi-judicial body or tribunal;
- Reinsurers and professional advisers including accounting, tax, financial or legal counsel; or
- Anyone we consider necessary for purposes of providing you products and services and other purposes mentioned above.
Protecting Your Personal Data
The processing of your personal data exposes you to financial, legal, regulatory or reputational risks that may result from the unauthorized processing or disclosure of personal data.
Sun Life is committed to protecting the privacy of all personal data provided to us. We maintain physical, technical and organizational safeguards to protect your personal data against loss, theft, unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification. We limit access to those who have a business need to know. We are responsible for all personal data in our possession, including information transferred to third parties performing services on our behalf. All such persons, wherever they are located, are required by us to protect the confidentiality and privacy of your personal data in a manner consistent with our privacy policies and practices.
Your Rights as Data Subjects
As data subjects, you have the following rights:
- Right to be informed. You have the right to be informed whether your personal data is being, or have been processed, including the existence of automated decision-making and profiling.
- Right to object. You have the right to object to the processing of your personal data, including processing for direct marketing, automated processing or profiling. You may also opt NOT to receive marketing information from Sun Life.
- Right to Access. You have the right to reasonable access, upon written request, the contents of your personal data that were processed and the manner by which these were processed; the sources from which these were obtained; the recipients and reasons for disclosure, if any; date when your information was last modified; and information on automated processes where your information will be made as the sole basis for any decision that may significantly affect you.
- Right to rectify erroneous data. You have the right to correct any error in the personal data and if warranted, request immediate rectification.
- Right to Erase or Block. You have based on reasonable grounds, the right to suspend, withdraw or order the blocking, removal or destruction of your personal data from Sun Life's filing system, without prejudice to Sun Life continuing to process personal data for commercial, operational, legal and regulatory purposes.
- Right to secure Data Portability. Where personal data is processed by electronic means and in a structured and commonly used format, you have the right to obtain from Sun Life a copy of such data in an electronic or structured format that is commonly used and allows your further use.
- Right to be indemnified for damages. You shall be indemnified for any damages sustained due to such inaccurate, incomplete, outdated, false, unlawfully obtained or unauthorized use of personal data, taking into account any violation of your rights and freedoms as data subject.
- Right to File a Complaint. You may file a complaint or exercise your rights above by reaching out to us through the contact details provided below. You may also raise privacy concerns to the National Privacy Commission through their website at www.privacy.gov.ph.
How Long We Will Retain Your Personal Data
Your personal data will be retained by Sun Life throughout the duration of your plan, investment or account and/or until expiration of the retention limit set by Sun Life standards, industry standards, laws and regulations from account closure and the period set until destruction, disposal or anonymization of records, unless withdrawn in writing or withheld due to changes in the information supplied by the Company.
How to Contact Sun Life
Sun Life of Canada (Philippines), Inc.
2F Sun Life Centre
5th Avenue corner Rizal Drive
Bonifacio Global City
Taguig City 1634
Attention: Data Protection Officer
If you have questions about this Privacy Statement, our data processing activities or your dealings with this web site, you can contact the Data Privacy Officer by telephone at (632) 849-9558 or send us an email at email@example.com. You may also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call our Client Care, SUNLINK, at telephone no. 849-9888. If you are calling from the province, you may call us using our toll-free at 1-800-10-SUNLIFE (1-800-10-7865433) from any PLDT line. Our business hours are from 8:00 AM to 7:00 PM, Mondays to Fridays.
Sun Life reserves the right to change (sections of) this Privacy Statement at any time and without notice. It is recommended that you review this Privacy Statement periodically for changes.
Questions about your privacy?
If you have questions or concerns on our privacy practices and policies, please get in touch with our Privacy Officer at email@example.com or call us at (+632) 555 8888 and request to be connected to our Compliance Department.