We are committed to maintaining strong corporate governance practices and ethical behaviour throughout our organization. We focus on disciplined risk management, and follow disclosure practices that are both responsive and responsible.
Ethics, integrity and corporate governance
Acting responsibly is an integral part of the Sun Life culture. We are committed to maintaining high standards of business ethics and integrity, in addition to best-in-class corporate governance practices that balance the interests of company management, the Board of Directors, shareholders, Clients and other stakeholders.
- 36% of our Board members were women (as of December 31, 2017).
- 99% of our employees worldwide completed Sun Life’s annual Code of Business Conduct training.
- Provided shareholders with a single-page notice instead of a printed copy of Sun Life’s entire annual Management Information Circular. This resulted in significant cost and environmental savings.
- Ranked in the top 10 in The Globe and Mail Report on Business Board Games review of corporate governance practices of Canada’s largest companies, for the 9th consecutive year.
- Our President and CEO, Dean Connor, was named Canada’s Outstanding CEO of the Year® in 2017, for exemplifying integrity, insisting upon excellence, earning the trust of others and building a globally competitive organization.
- Named as one of the Best 50 Corporate Citizens in Canada by Corporate Knights, placing 10th overall.
As a large financial services organization operating in a complex industry, Sun Life is exposed to various risks. Risk management is critical to the overall profitability, competitive market positioning and long-term financial viability of the company in order to meet the commitments to our Clients and other stakeholders.
We analyze the external environment to identify new and emerging risks on a regular basis. Our Risk Management Framework prescribes a comprehensive set of protocols and programs for conducting our business activities. Our risk management program is embedded in Sun Life’s culture, encouraging ownership and responsibility for risk management at all levels.
Please refer to our Annual Report for 2017 highlights and additional information.
Transparency and disclosure
We are committed to providing clear, timely and factual disclosure about Sun Life’s financial and non-financial performance, including environmental, social and governance (ESG) performance. We have mechanisms in place to help ensure we are responsive to the disclosure needs of the investment community, regulators and other stakeholders.
- Engaged with more than 300 investors and analysts through a range of communication channels, such as our annual Investor Day and quarterly conference calls.
- Improved our sustainability reporting by engaging more individuals and teams across Sun Life in preparing report content and by strengthening disclosures around key performance indicators.
- Awarded Silver in the 2017 Awards of Excellence in Corporate Reporting by the Chartered Professional Accountants of Canada, based on an assessment across 4 categories (financial reporting, sustainability reporting, electronic disclosure and corporate governance disclosure).