New York Paid Family Leave (NY PFL)
SLPC 28650 11/19 (exp. 11/21)
In addition to the new Quarantine Order, the State of NY has also updated its NY Paid Family Leave 2020 rates. We have updated the documents at the bottom of this page to reflect this change.
New York State’s COVID-19 Quarantine Order legislation
The new COVID-19 Quarantine Order DBL and PFL benefits are available after the exhaustion of any applicable paid sick time.
Paid Sick Leave law and Amendments to Statutory Disability and Paid Family Leave laws
What it is
The New York COVID-19 Quarantine Order legislation that was signed by the Governor of New York on March 18, 2020 provides for paid sick leave and paid statutory disability (DBL) and paid family leave (PFL) benefits for workers who are unable to work due to an individualized mandatory or precautionary order of quarantine or isolation related to COVID-19 as issued by the State of New York, the Department of Health, local Board of Health or any government entity duly authorized to issue such order. The COVID-19 Quarantine Order PFL benefits are also available for employees who must take time off to care for a minor dependent child who is subject to a Quarantine Order.
Why it’s important
The law, which went into place on March 18, 2020, is intended to address the hardship faced by persons out of work due to quarantine or isolation orders.
What it means to you and your employees
If you have New York Disability Benefits Law and Paid Family Leave coverage with us and you are a private employer (not public) with fewer than 100 employees in total, (nationally, by FEIN), your employees who are subject to an individualized precautionary or mandatory order of quarantine or isolation related to COVID-19 (Quarantine Order) may qualify for the special Quarantine Order DBL and PFL benefits. Special COVID-19 Quarantine Order PFL benefits may be available for employees caring for minor dependent children who are subject to these same types of orders. Additional scenarios may qualify an employee for regular DBL or PFL benefits or for unemployment insurance.
What you should do
Call us. If you have questions or think your employees may qualify for benefits, call Client Services Support at 800-247-6875, Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET. (Employees can call Member Services at the same number.) Our team can talk with you or your employees and can provide the appropriate claim forms.
Be informed. Employees may qualify for the COVID-19 Quarantine Order related to DBL and PFL benefits, the regular DBL/PFL benefits or unemployment. The law also requires most employers to provide paid sick leave. Some quick things to know:
- The new COVID-19 Quarantine Order DBL and PFL benefits are available after the exhaustion of any applicable paid sick time.
- Only individualized orders to quarantine or isolate someone who was diagnosed with COVID-19 or exposed to a person who was diagnosed with COVID-19 qualify.
- An order by the Governor to stay home to prevent the spread of COVID-19 or an order closing a school for similar reasons does not qualify. Individuals who are unable to work because of this type of order may be eligible for unemployment benefits.
- The law expressly states that benefits are not payable if the employee is asymptomatic or yet to be diagnosed, and physically able to work whether through remote or other means even if the person is subject to a COVID-19 Quarantine Order.
Resources for regular New York Paid Family Leave administration
* This checklist and suggested content are not to be considered legal advice. We recommend that Clients speak with legal counsel specializing in labor and employment law to ensure your organization has met all of the requirements under the New York Workers’ Compensation Laws.
In New York, Disability Benefit Law policies are underwritten by Sun Life and Health Insurance Company (U.S.) (Lansing, MI) under Policy Form Series 06P-NY-DBL.
© 2019 Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada, Wellesley Hills, MA 02481. All rights reserved. Sun Life Financial and the globe symbol are registered trademarks of Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada. Visit us at www.sunlife.com/us.