At Sun Life, we recognize the links between a healthy environment and a healthy economy, on which our business depends.
We focus on investing responsibly and managing environmental risks. We take responsibility for our business activities that have an impact on the environment, holding ourselves accountable for managing our operating footprint. We also engage our employees and suppliers in environmental stewardship.
Sun Life's operations span various facilities in 26 countries. At Sun Life, measuring, managing and reporting on the impacts of our business operations, particularly our greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, is an important part of our environmental commitment. Reducing inputs such as energy, corporate travel, paper, water and waste will not only decrease GHG emissions but also help reduce operating costs.
- Throughout 2016, we expanded the scope of our environmental reporting through our GHG Framework, which resulted in more comprehensive reporting of our global footprint than we have been able to accomplish previously.
- Our global GHG emissions decreased by 9.1% from 2014 to 2016.
- Our global energy consumption decreased by 7.5% from 2014 to 2016.
- We own and lease over 2 million square feet of green-certified space
With $142.4 billion in invested funds in our General Account, Sun Life is a large investment manager. We believe responsible investing can improve the long-term return on our assets, which better positions Sun Life to help our Clients and shareholders achieve lifetime financial security and well-being. Incorporating an Incorporating an environmental, social and governance lens in investment decision-making helps us to identify and mitigate risks in our investment portfolios that could negatively affect our stakeholders.
- In our real estate portfolio, we actively seek to attain LEED® or BOMA BEST® certifications on properties, including upgrading existing structures where it makes financial sense. As one example of our ongoing commitment to sustainability, we hold a 30% interest in our new global headquarters, One York, in Toronto, which is targeting LEED® Platinum certification.
- In 2016, we provided $487 million in financing for eight renewable energy projects.
- We have invested over $4 billion in renewable and environmentally-preferable energy-related projects over 32 years
- First major Canadian life insurer to become signatory to the United Nations-supported Principles for Responsible Investment