How we protect your information
At Sun Life, we take the security and confidentiality of your information very seriously. We have implemented a combination of technical solutions, security practices and processes to maintain the confidentiality of your information.
Our security safeguards consist of a wide variety of technical solutions and security practices all designed to work together to protect your information.
- Data encryption and message integrity
- Authentication of your identity
- Password protection
- Session time-out
Your communications and transactions are secure and confidential when you successfully log in to our secure websites with a user ID and password. We use Secure Socket Layer (SSL) to help keep your information confidential while you conduct business on our secure websites. SSL helps ensure the integrity and confidentiality of your online transactions. It helps create a uniquely encrypted transmission over the Internet between your web browser and Sun Life.
For your security, you will not be able to log in to our secure websites if your browser does not support a minimum of 128-bit encryption. We recommend that you use the most up-to-date browser version with all of the applicable security patches installed. Our service is optimized to work with these commonly used browsers:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer, version 7 or higher - Microsoft Download Centre
- Mozilla Firefox, version 2 or higher – Mozilla Firefox Download Centre
Note: Beta or test versions of browsers are not supported.
We will only grant access to your account if the proper access ID and password are entered. When you successfully log in to our secure websites, your browser will establish a Secure Socket Layer (SSL) connection between your computer and our web servers. SSL helps prevent your information from being tampered with during transmission across the Internet.
Once you have established a secure connection, your browser will display a lock symbol at the bottom right of your screen. The lock symbol indicates you are on a secure site. To verify, double-click on the lock symbol to view the site certificate. The site certificate should show that it is authorized by a third-party (VeriSign) that validates the identity of secure websites. Click on the Issuer Statement button to view VeriSign’s website to obtain further information about site certificates.
When you access our secure websites, we need proof of your identity in the form of your access ID and password. We will only grant access to your account if the proper access ID and password are entered. Always keep your password confidential. Only you should know what it is. Learn more on how you can protect your password.
To prevent others from guessing your password, we will disable your password after 3 consecutive unsuccessful sign-on attempts. If this happens to you, contact the number indicated on the error message received.
Sun Life will not be held responsible for any loss or damage which may be incurred as a result of unauthorized use of your password.
To prevent your account from remaining open when not in use, your online session with our secure websites will be terminated after several minutes of inactivity. If this occurs, you will need to successfully sign in again with your access ID and password to continue.
We promote safe communication practices when dealing with our clients and customers. Whether you communicate with us through telephone, email or online, here’s what you can expect:
- We do not provide hyperlinks to sign-in pages of our secure websites or ask you to provide personal information in our email communications.
- We will always confirm your identity by asking a set of questions with responses that you previously supplied to us. This applies whether you contact us or we contact you.
- We will never ask you to change your account information. You have to initiate changes to your account yourself.
- We will never ask you for your password.
- We protect your email address by maintaining appropriate technical safeguards. All emails we receive are screened for infected file attachments.
- We may require additional information or verification before accepting a transaction. You acknowledge that you will provide such information.
- Sun Life reserves the right to restrict or cancel access to the site without providing notice. This will be done when Sun Life has reason to believe that your data may be at risk.