Our ambition is to be one of the best insurance and asset management companies in the world. It’s about cultivating an organization that is competitive, resilient and forward-thinking.
To achieve this, we are working hard to understand Client needs and how we can deliver the best Client experience at key touch points in each of our markets worldwide. We know that our employees are the most critical factor in this effort, so our focus is also on building the best team possible for today and tomorrow – by effectively managing and developing our talent, supporting our employees’ well-being and fostering an inclusive, high-performance culture.
Our Clients are at the centre of everything we do. We believe that relentlessly focusing on Clients means they will do more business with Sun Life, stay with us longer, and refer more friends and family.
- We introduced significant individual insurance underwriting changes and enhanced insurance products and services to make it easier and more convenient to access insurance
- We provided 48,000 in-person and online benefits enrollment consultations to our Clients.
- We launched a clear communication initiative in Canada to review and rewrite Client-facing materials based on plain language principles
In a digitally driven world, innovation closely connects to Client satisfaction. Digital touchpoints are changing the way people research, buy and manage their insurance and wealth solutions. Our digital capabilities are therefore critical, both to support our Clients’ needs and evolving preferences and to increase our business efficiency and effectiveness.
- We continued to roll out timely, personalized Client experiences to our group and Choices plan members with our Digital Benefits Assistant program. Marking the first real-time decision management technology in the insurance industry, Sun Life’s Digital Benefits Assistant program leverages big data and advanced analytics in a relevant and personalized way to help Clients gain the most value from their benefits and investment plans.
- We enhanced our my Sun Life Mobile app, a highly-rated mobile app in the Canadian insurance industry. Clients can now use their my Sun Life Mobile app and smartphone camera to capture and submit health claims; view their mutual fund and segregated fund account balances; and find contact information and Sun Life Client ratings for 80,000 healthcare providers.
Data security and privacy
Our business is dependent on maintaining a secure environment for our Clients, employees and other parties’ information.
- We continued to make investments in technology and cyber-security professionals to better prepare us for new and emerging information security and privacy risks.
- There were no substantiated privacy complaints from regulatory bodies regarding breaches of Client privacy or loss of Client data in any of our global operations.
- For the 7th year in a row, Canadians voted Sun Life Financial the Most Trusted Brand™ of Life Insurance Companies according to the 2016 Reader’s Digest Trusted Brand™ Survey.
With a global workforce of 132,765 people – comprising 32,900 employees and 99,865 advisors – strategically managing and motivating our employees is central to our success. We believe that the more engaged our employees are, the more productive and passionate they will be in delivering better outcomes for our Clients and other stakeholders.
- For the 4th consecutive survey, our employee engagement scores have increased, exceeding the external benchmarks for global financial institutions and on par with top-performing global companies. This suggests that our intensified efforts to create a positive and rewarding employee experience are working.
- We invested more than $40 million in training and developing Sun Life employees globally
- Every $1 invested in mandatory online training translated to $8 in value
Employee wellness underpins our ability to deliver exceptional service to Clients, attract and retain top talent and limit absenteeism. Research shows that a healthy employee is a more engaged employee and a more engaged employee is critical to the success of our high-performance culture. We take a holistic view of wellness by focusing on three aspects: physical wellness, mental wellness and financial wellness.
- Ninety-one percent of participants in our 2016 Global Wellness Challenge achieved the healthy living goals they set for the challenge
- More than 2,500 employees participated in activities for Financial Literacy Month in Canada. We offered drop-in booths, seminars and access to financial advisors to help employees expand their knowledge of financial products and services and to assist with financial planning and management
Diversity and inclusion
We believe that building a workforce that more closely reflects our Clients and communities will better position us to serve their unique needs. By strengthening our inclusive environment and fostering our high-performance culture, we believe our employees will feel respected, connected and inspired to be their very best.
- As a public commitment to support closing the gender wage gap, in the U.S. we signed on to the 100% Talent: The Boston Women’s Compact, pledging commitment to leveling the playing field for working women.
- Membership in our Women’s Leadership Network grew by over 50% to 605 Sun Life employees in 2016, up from 395 the previous year. This group is dedicated to helping women achieve their full potential, through mentoring opportunities, development programs and other supports.
- For the 9th consecutive year, Sun Life earned a perfect score on the Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s 2017 Corporate Equality Index (CEI), a U.S. benchmarking tool on corporate policies and practices related to LGBTQ workplace equality. In Canada, Sun Life was one of 2 companies to receive a perfect score in the inaugural LGBT Corporate Canadian Index for taking quantifiable actions to create an inclusive environment for LGBTQ employees.